|word|

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Artificial

I had an awesome conversation with my wife in the car yesterday.

We talked about manipulation...

How we used to manipulate...how we still have the tendency to do so

How Jesus calls us to truth.

How manipulation is predicated on artificiality..

In reflecting on this convo, which rocks my socks, I have some thoughts.

Manipulation, at its core for me was to get the negative off me to some externality, so I look good, despite who it hurts... even if it hurts me in the long run.

Why?

Short term fix:Immediate gratification... "Me Get ...NOW"

This usually came with some lies...some embellishments on facts...and an academy nominated acting performance.

.......................................

so my reflection... if getting immediate gratification is linked to artificiality...immediate gratification is not linked to the truth Jesus calls us to.

Check this vid... and really listen... (http://www.theworkofthepeople.com/index.php?ct=store.details&pid=V00044)

.......................................

in a logical progression, a logical conclusion to this series is that, insofar as "me get..now" equals false. And insofar as Jesus equals truth... then..."me get...now" and anything linked to it does not equal Jesus...

So what does Jesus equal?

...you guessed it...

self-sacrifice.

More and more i think when he said "truly, truly I tell you...", he meant it...

excellent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i really liked the video and your thoughts. I have came to believe that when Jesus said give it all away he meant it truly truly. rich mullins has a song with a line faith without works is like a screen door on a submarine, i know you being in love with the sky you might not get that analogy but we live in a culture where the words sacrifice have lost all relevance. we have created a world where giving your place of privilege away is seen as crazy. Jesus was GOD and he gave it away to be like you and me he suffered and endured humiliation, pain and death so you and i could begin to understand the freedom he has given each of us. remember he told us we will be enabled to do more than he ever did. and also remember after he had died and risen he made breakfast for his friends. now that is a GOD who wants to understand what it means to follow him.

Jason said...

Thanks! I was at a passover seder last night, and there is this piece of matza that is called "hidden" in Hebrew that the man of the table hides beneath his chair.

Now...ritualistically and Christologically, there is probably a ton more to passover than I could ever understand...but this "hidden" manna...I couldn't help but relate it with hidden truth that is buried beneath worldly "relevance".

I think the core of who we are as a creation is vibrantly relevant in composition to the hidden truth in self-sacrifice.

Some are just in a self-denial called self-indulgance

organic chuckwagon said...

jason, just wanted to let you know our family got one bigger today we are now the parents of clara ellen wallis born in orlando fl 04-20-08 no idea how are going to get all the money together in two days $25000 is a lot we just found out about this agency wed and now she is ours. what a roller coaster.

Anonymous said...

that last comment was from me john about our new daughter